I can’t believe this is happening
A few years ago, I came across a blog post about photographer Mark Shaw and his work. I fell in love with his photography and posted images with artist credit and links back to the source.
Yesterday, I received an email from Tumblr alerting me that the estate of Mark Shaw reported me for copyright violation because I did not have permission to post his work. I completely understand the wish of an artist to have his work removed from Place-X. The posts were removed by Tumblr. No hurt feelings.
However, I was also alerted that future such occurrences may result in account suspension.
For years now, I have gone out of my way to include artist/publication/other credit and source info with my posts. Not begrudgingly, either— I have done this dutifully, happily, and voluntarily. I believe it should be done, especially on Tumblr, a medium that makes it quite easy to post beautiful things stripped of credit and information.
Go look at Tumblr’s fashion, portrait, or other official photo directories. Tell me how many posts include any artist/publication information. Tell me how many posts include any kind of link to the source of the image. Now, tell me how many posts instead contain every possible link back to the same posting-individual’s main page. Posts like these are highlighted and promoted across Tumblr. People who don’t know any better mimic that format and the problem of no-credit, no-information spreads.
Take a look at the power bloggers on Tumblr. They either omit credit because text looks clunky or they omit source because readers would then know where they could find more themselves. I include both because the purpose of my blog is as much to capture beautiful things as it is to educate, to let people know where they can find/learn more about x, y, or z.
Mark Shaw’s photography is all over Tumblr. I’m not sure if I was the only person notified of violation, but I am fairly certain that the estate found my posts because I went out of my way to include artist credit and source information.
I have been using Tumblr for four years now and love it. It is a wonderful way to meet and share with like-minded individuals. I would hate to lose my account because I went out of my way to include information on the things I post. I thought I was one of the good guys.
- sarah-arnett reblogged this from csebastian
- ciaoeli likes this
- sarah-arnett likes this
- thisconstantknot said: They way you always make sure to credit, and seek out the credit when you don’t have it, it’s far more work than anyone else with a tumblr cares to put in. That really sucks! This would be a tough one to dust off for me due to how frustrating it is. Hugs!
- yukivanille likes this
- vivante said: For the record, I’ve always loved how thoroughly you source your fashion posts. I have mostly stopped fashion blogging because it’s such a bother to try to find sources for people’s posts, but the happy exception for me is your blog. You’re awesome!
- thedoppelganger said: You’ll be fine! This has happened to tons of people, including me, and you probably won’t be suspended unless you’re an excessive offender. Tumblr includes the warning with every copyright violation, but I’ve rarely seen anyone actually suspended.
- ducissa likes this
- casabet64 reblogged this from csebastian
- believingstyle likes this
- thecatenrose reblogged this from csebastian
- casabet64 said: You worked with honesty, here this value does not have the right weight. You continue to be honest, the value remains and belongs to you. For anyone else.
- thecatenrose said: I agree with you - completely. I will therefore reblog this.
- det-er-kaerlighed said: Wow! Actually?! That is quite ridiculous that they threatened your account like that. Out of all the “blogs” I follow on Tumblr, yours is the only one that actually gives complete text credit to the photos you post.
- casabet64 likes this
- heather-in-heels likes this
- macabeez likes this
- shitvici likes this
- honestillusions said: that is so silly. sorry :((
- volumeundone likes this
- busybeetalks likes this
- busybeetalks said: WOW thats horrid! also gosh Mark Shaw must be a huge jerk too esp if you cited him! goodness!
- csebastian posted this